Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Ever have a pet funeral?

The first pet I lost was a cat and of course it was in the middle of winter and the ground was so frozen we couldn't dig a hole. I refuse to do like some crazy people and put it in my chest freezer so we took it to the vet and it cost us a fortune. All three of our fish died within days of each other but they just got flushed and the kids didn't make us have a funeral.

Well now Fuzzball has passed this life quietly onto better things. We dug a hole in the FRONT yard, a requested by my middle son. We also made a wood cross that said "RIP Here lies Fuzzball with his birth and death dates. I know my middle son is emotional and cried a bit a bed time but otherwise was pretty good about it - it was his pet after all. The other two didn't seem to care at all. My youngest just went back to playing the computer game after we told him. They did however all attend the funeral. How long before he wants a new pet?

I do have to admit I like the absence of animals to have to deal with when we go away on trips. Now we are only left with three cats. Two are 18 and one looks like skeleton with bones. I actually washed his feet the other day because he isn't washing himself anymore. It is really a tough decision to put them down or not. They've lived this long, what's a few more. I do not plan on getting any more when the two older ones goes. One is just enough and I don't think she will mind being an only child.

I guess this is the life of a mother.

No comments: