Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The 13.1 Marathon done!

We were so excited about going. It was a great drive up, and had a new toy to play with - a TOMTOM, which my husband was nice enough to let us use and had changed the voice to be Austin Powers - it was just so "Bloody" funny. We were so happy to find out the hotel that M & D stayed at last year decided to start their continential breakfast this year at 6:00 instead of their normal 7:00 just for us runners! It was starting out to be a great weekend. We tried for an early bedtime but there were neighboring folks that thought 9:00 and 10:00pm were still party in the hall time. We all seemed to get some sleep and were up wide awake and downstairs for our wonderful breakfast at 6:00am.

The gun went off without any warning and we were off, it seemed to quick somehow. I have to say the weather was great and I enjoyed the race and even better to have M run with me. We actually passed D twice (who was doing the full marathon AND trying to qualify for Boston).

After losing a little time with a bathroom break M and I still managed to make our time that we planned (2:30). D was so nice to make us bracelets for our time. They really helped since I can't think when I am running. But when we got to mile 8, M did say we only had 4 miles left and I was able to figure that wasn't quite right - would be nice, it is nice to see someone else has the same problem I do when running. I once gave someone wrong directions. I won't give directions again - even when I think I know them - when I'm running of course.

I didn't know what to say to D as she came over the finish line. I gave her a hug. I was just amazed how she could do the full 26.2 and still talk. I know sometimes you have good runs and others times you don't. I felt so bad this was not a good run for D. I tried to not talk about it for I saw tears were just behind the eyes ready to flood any second. We managed through the tough moments and found food which always helps.

After a late checkout and we were all showered and exausted, we piled back into M's car and headed home with Austin giving us a laugh. We stopped at the favorite Ponderosa they always stop and eat at after marathons but none of us had an appetite.

I would have to say I am thankful for D and M for helping me train for this race and feel it was all worth it. I will have this memory forever. I would definitely do it again. I did call P last time to tell her all about it. P definitely helped in getting me to train and stay with it. I am so lucky to have such good friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, Joan! You are a stronger, faster runner with each race we do. You reached your destination!!Grooovy!

Deb

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration--all of you are! Congratulations and try to not become obsessed like those running mates of yours. Oh, wait, it's too late isn't it?!! bbmom