Friday, November 14, 2008

Thankful to be Working

The weather was nice as I walked out of work and ran into a fellow employee that was packed and ready to leave as he transfers to another branch. They let a few people go today and I was glad to hear I was not among the list. It is becoming common news these days as the times are tough. I am so glad to be able to still get up and go to work. It does put a bit of pressure everyday, afraid that a manager will be nocking at your door next. It has definitely curved our spending at home in anticipation that it might happen. The kids don't quite understand when we say we don't want to spend the money. I am afraid Christmas will be a little less than we've done in the past as well. It is amazing how it affects your life. We don't eat out as much. I am spending less on groceries and cloths. It will be tough when our truck lease will be up - we need something to tow with so what do we do. It really does affect your life even if you are not let go if the chance is always over your head. I am very thankful to have my job and really hope the company can hang in but we are playing the side of caution and hoping the for the best. Can we live on one income now that we've gotten used to more? So many people do it every day but once you're used to something and it is taken away makes it harder to get used to not having it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would be completely surprised at what you and your family are capable of living without!! Having what we're used to suddenly change gives us the opportunity to take stock in what is really important. Acquisition and sustenance of material things can slide easily down the list of priorities in deference to things to which we have not given much thought in the past.

Ask me what we have had to give up and how happiness and even security turn out to NOT depend on those "things". Just believe that all will be well no matter what the course of events. You are blessed.

cooneyfive said...

My college years were really tough financially and I never worried about the finances - I new it would work out. It would be different now, it is not just me, but our whole family. I think it is hard for me to tell my chillens NO. You are absolutely right about how much we can do without and still be quite happy. Thanks for the note.