Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Another 1/2 Marathon

The drive there was great. Austin assited us again (my Tom-Tom) so we felt confident of where the hotel was. We found it only by pure luck. Why do they put the hotel name on the opposite side of the building and not on the road side? How can two people not stop talking for one and a half hours and not get bored with each other? I wanted to laugh at check-in when the lady kept calling D by a nick-name she never uses and kept repeating it. I wanted to laugh. We walked very fast to the Expo in the pooring ran. We were shooting for a wet t-shirt contest, I think I would of won. We did get an amazing reflector vest from New Balance free so I guess the walk in the rain was worth it. We had a leasurely drive to our pasta dinner and that was good because the lack of food did make us a little disturbed. We manage to get a cookie before they disappeared. I guess they figured we didn't need food or cheese for our pasta. Then, to make me feel better I endevoured to challenge D in a few games of Boggle. It doesn't really matter my total for three games matched her total for one game. I guess I shouldn't play with a teacher.

Morning of race we woke up after a great night of sleep. I do have to say, it is the first time I've ever had cup of noodles for breakfast (thank you D). We new we were doomed when we walked outside at 6:00am and walked into a wall of heat and humidity. That is not normal for anywhere in NY in September and no one certainly wants to have that so early on a day of a marathon.

We couldn't use any of the wonderful square potties since the line was about a line long - of course we weren't alone. They had tons of food and drinks before/during and after the race. They had tons of volunteers. They had music, chear leaders, and great spectators throughout the whole course. The route was scenic and not too hilly. Other than the heat and the distance (I must be crazy doing 13 miles) I would love to do this race again. Maybe next time I will come close to hitting my time. Until next time! Everyone in Rochester was very friendly and I enjoyed walking/running with Jan and must thank Karen who I met in the medical tent and was probably sorry later for offering to give us a ride back to our hotel. She was great and waited with me for D to come in. It only took her about an hour longer than she hoped so I felt bad for having Karen wait for us. Oh, I only needed the medical tent for one of my three blisters. Hopefully in a few days we will be ready to start running again. Til next time. Goodnight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good times!! If Boston accepted the ability to chatter nonstop, while accruing lots of Boggle points, perhaps I'd finally BQ!
Thanks for the great experience - you are an awesome traveling companion/running buddy/motivational speaker!

Anonymous said...

J-this is unrelated, but I was looking for your email address and couldn't find it. I wanted to thank you for the funny card (loud, obnoxious)and let you know that you are welcome here anytime! Make it an annual event! Hug your family for me. Love.