Saturday, March 8, 2008

First Race of Season

Wow, am I out of shape. Four mile Tugg Hill Run. We lucked out and it didn't rain while we were running. It is the first time I've ever ran a race with the salt from the road crunching under our feet and snow all around us.

I ran with my friend M who was nice enough to stay with me. My friend T joined us for the last mile (he had already finished and ran the last mile with us). I think T helped me keep going, I was pretty bushed at the end. We finished the 4 mile, in 45 minutes while my friend D finished it in 31 minutes. I am sure T finished it even less, he said he didn't know what his time was. I think I am going to call D Speedie now.

I loved the atmosphere of the race. We saw some beautiful houses, lots of folks waving, clapping, and cheering us on. I think there was a bar at every corner and they all had music - not just music, some had bands and great singers. The only downfall were the hills, which I guess really made the race a good workout but my time would of been a lot better if I didn't have the hills.

D was awesome and gave M and I cat-in-the-hat hats to wear. I joked that it would hurt my time because of the wind resistance. It certainly didn't hurt D. It was great having everyone commenting and laughing at us. One guy said we were great looking women, the hats really topped it. Thanks D for the hats.

Definitely a fun race with over 1,300 people and a great start of the year. I would definitely recommend it and put it on my list of races to do again. ONLY DOWNFALL. The line was so long to get food after the race we skipped it. Maybe they will fix that for next year.

Final and last note. I must thank my great friend M for staying with me for the whole race. I am sure she could of done the race in a lot less time. The last mile, her and T talked about Boston Marathon and other things while I was breathing hard going up the last hill. She is a great friend to do this for me.

2 comments:

mryonker said...

I would always rather run with someone, no matter how slow (or fast!). Running for me is about people, and so I am equally grateful to have you with me.

It was VERY hilly, and as for the line for the food, if we didn't have to rush out to get H to dance, we could have easily stayed. So, I'm sorry to have rushed you out. :)

cooneyfive said...

Thanks for the comment. I wouldn't of wanted to wait in such a long line to just get cold so it didn't bother me to leave.